Foodie Header

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rainbow Cake (Wilton Course 1, Class 2)



Last night I completed class 2, where I made a rainbow cake. I used only 1 layer of a 9-inch round cake, so my cake wasn't as high as I would have liked, but it still worked. I leveled and iced my cake with light blue thin consistency icing (dyed from royal blue gel) before coming to class.

The rainbow stencil was in the back of the coursebook, so I traced it onto wax paper, and then traced that with clear Wilton piping gel. I then put that face down on the cake, and brushed over the piping gel on the drawing with my little decorating brush. The effect of all this was to make a light indentation in my icing -- I was surprised that no gel came off on the cake. To fill in the rainbow, I cheated a bit and bought the Wilton ready-made colored tube icing, because I didn't feel like dying icing so many different colors -- I chose pink, yellow, leaf green, and purple, since my base was already pale blue.

Using a #16 tip, I filled in the rainbow with stars in each of the 4 colors. I used #18 with medium white icing to do the clouds, which were just zig-zag lines layered. I used the same tip and icing to go around the base of the cake with a shell border. Then, I used a #3 and darker blue icing for the lettering. My hand is so unsteady, the lettering is pretty sloppy, but I didn't bring my new stencil so I had to do it freehand.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with my cake, but I didn't really care for the color the royal blue gel turned the icing -- it was more turquoise than royal blue. I am going to look and see what other blues Wilton offers.

Next week, we are going to be learning how to make figures out of buttercream icing with "Scary Clown Cakes." I bought the clown head picks, but I have to admit that I am not very fond of clowns, so I am looking around for another alternative. I found some scarecrow head picks, so I am debating whether to make a scarecrow cake instead -- maybe I could ice it it chocolate icing then...

No comments: